Thursday, April 02, 2009

...and the Oscar goes to...

Slumdog Millionaire! And rightly so. I can't actually recommend it to most of my friends because it is rated "R", but it is definitely the best movie I've seen in a long time. It is rated "R", as far as I can tell, because it deals with children. There are definitley TONS of PG-13 movies that show more violence, more sleaze, and have worse language. In fact, this movie showed nothing sleazy, and didn't actually show any violence in the way of blood and gore. And the language was less offensive than any movie that came out in the eighties. The only reason I can figure that it's rated "R" is that children are involved in most of the "violent" parts of the movie.

There is a scene in which some men (bad men that is) teach orphans to beg as a business venture. The movie shows a scene where it is clear that these men (the bad men mentioned earlier) cause blindness in a young boy because "blind singers earn double". It shows the men drugging him to sleep. They then heat up a spoonful of oil and move it towards the boy's eyes. They then show nothing of the actual "process" and merely show the boy with a bandage over his eyes minutes later.

The only other thing that I really thought earned an "R" rating was later in the movie, one of the boys that worked for these bad men shoots the leader of said bad men in the head. Again, nothing graphic is shown at all. View of the man's head is obstructed such that all you see is the body slump to the ground. It is less graphic than the average James Bond movie or the average primetime TV show. If, in both of these scenes, the kids involved were replaced by adults, the movie most definitely would have earned a PG-13 rating.

Now you know, so if you have desired to see this movie and wanted to know why it was rated "R", you can now make up your own mind. I'm really just doing this because I said I would blog every day in April and I needed something to talk about today. I'll catch ya all later. (As in tomorrow...)

No comments:

Post a Comment