Saturday, April 04, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen...SUBURBAN LEGENDS!

Yo, I'm here wif my main man...alright, that's enough of the Ali G accent. Anyway, last night I went to an amazing concert. As you may have guessed from the title of this post, it was Suburban Legends. This was my second time seeing Suburban Legends and it was well worth my time and ten dollars.



First off, the show was at Kilby Court, which I had never been to previously. I have several friends that were in on the Kilby scene for a while so I asked them about it. I thought they were exaggerating when Kingberson told me it was about the size of his garage at his old house. He wasn't. It really is a tiny place. Luckily, we showed up very early. About an hour before the concert started actually, which apparently was ridiculously early for a show at Kilby Court.



My friend that I went with (which happens to be a girl, that's important later. Oh, her name is Kim) decided that we should skip the two local opening bands and go do something else in Salt Lake for the next 2.5 hours until Suburban Legends would be up. We left and headed to the Salt Lake City Library, which apparently closes at 6 on Fridays...who knew? Anyhow, I talked her into going back to the venue to wait it out. It wasn't too hard to talk her into it because she is rather short and wouldn't have been able to see if we didn't get back and hang out at the front.



Anyhow, we went back and met up with George, Patrik, and Tashi. The first two bands ended up being rather better than I had remembered them. I had seen them both last August in a local ska showcase at the Avalon. The only real problem that I had with Illegal Beagle and the Skaficionados was the undiscernable lyrics and vocal melodies. If they would actually sing, I would love their music. The guitarist for Illegal Beagle was exceptionally good. (although he broke two strings...)



So, now it was time for the real show to start. Suburban Legends took the stage and kicked it off with my favorite song: High Fives. I got numerous high fives from Vince (singer) during this song as I was essentially on the front row. By essentially, I mean that Kim was in front of me, but I could easily see and reach over her. They played a great set. They had us (the whole crowd, not just Kim and me) so psyched up; it was awesome. The whole show was amazing for me, but Kim had two particular moments that stood out. I will tell you about these now.



Kim happens to have a little bit of a thing for the trombone player, Brian Robertson. During the concert, he was about to perform some synchronized dance moves with Luis (trumpet) and Vince (the afore-mentioned singer). However, he didn't have time to make it to the back of the stage (which is amazing considering the size of the stage...) to put his trombone on the stand. So, he came front and center and handed his trombone to the girl standing there. Needless to say it was Kim and it made her night. She also bought a shirt and got him to sign it...





Anyway, I finally got a "Slay the Dragon" jacket and once again got to see one of my favorite bands in concert. It was most excellent. I really just wrote all this to have something to write because as you may notice, I have about 2 minutes to get this up before I lose the BEDA challenge. Catch ya all later. (...as in tomorrow...)



p.s. I'm sorry that the camera on my phone sucks. That is a very blurry picture of Luis (trumpet, left) Vince (singer, middle) and Brian "Robot" Robertson (trombone, right (and in the back)).

1 comment:

  1. That was such an awesome show! They're playing at the Murray Theatre in a couple weeks (obviously you can't go since you're on a mission, sorry bro), along with Reel Big Fish!

    ReplyDelete