Sunday, April 05, 2009

Awkward...

So, those of you that know me (which is all of you...) know that I don't normally care when situations are awkward. However, tonight, I went to Jeff's house to practice a ceremony for the Order of the Arrow. Afterward, he (and his family) invited me to stay for a family birthday celebration of his mom and sister's birthdays. Family meaning grandparents and an aunt came over. It was awkward.

But, it was also really cool. It was my first time meeting Jeff's sister Nicole. She is a student at BYU and thus never home. It was also cool that his family asked if I would like to stay. Jeff says that his family thinks I'm cool and enjoys hanging out with me. That is really cool. After the celebrations, I played cards with Jeff and two of his sisters.

Anyhow, now to the real reason for posting. I love going to Jeff's house. By going there I finally understand what is meant by the phrase "love at home." My own house is rarely filled with love. We aren't always contentious, but love is almost never a part of the atmosphere here. I love my family, and I know that they love me, but we rarely act on such feelings.

Today I was challenged to take a mental tour of my house. Part of the challenge was to search for the places where the feeling of love is present. I failed the challenge. I failed to feel much love in my house at all. I re-did that challenge for Jeff's house and the love is everywhere. My parents always wondered why my brothers and I have always gone to friends' houses instead of inviting them over. We have just figured that "there's nothing to do here." Actually, there isn't that much more to do anywhere else, but in other homes, love permeates and encompasses everything and everyone within. In my "home", (it's really just a house) love permeates and ecompasses nothing and no one. (Haha, I just saw the opportunity to work that in...)

Anyway, this I believe (has anyone had Paxton for English?) is the reason that I enjoy leaving my house all the time. Catch ya later. (Tomorrow to be exact...)

No comments:

Post a Comment